(image taken from google)
Energy Saving Bulbs come in different shapes on the market with different ratings in terms of Voltage or Watts and they definitely save our pocket especially that, we are buying electricity in our respective houses.
Some Health and Safety issues on these Low – Energy Light Bulbs
However, these type of bulbs, if broken, causes serious danger.
If one breaks, everybody will have to leave the room for at least 15 minutes, because it contains Mercury(poisonous) which causes migraine, disorientation, imbalances and different other health problems, when inhaled.
It causes many people with allergies, severe skin conditions and other diseases just by touching this substance or inhaling it.
Do NOT clean the debris of the broken bulb with a vacuum cleaner, because it would spread the contamination to other rooms in the house when using vacuum cleaner again. It must be cleaned up with a normal broom or brush, be kept in a sealed bag and disposed of right away from the house in a bin for hazardous materials.
Warning : Mercury is dangerous, more poisonous than lead or arsenic.
Below is the advice on what to do if a Low – energy bulb breaks be it at home or areas where these bulbs can be found :
1. Evacuate the room, taking care not to step on the shards of glass lettering the floor.
2. Do not use vaccum cleaner to clear up the mess as the machines sucking action could spread toxic mercury droplets around the house.
3. Put on rubber gloves and sweep the debris onto the dustpan.
4. Place the remains in a plastic bad and seal it
5. Do not put the plastic in a normal household bin.
6. Instead, place it in a municipal recyling bin for batteries which also contain mercury or take it to a council dump where it can be disposed of safely. As LMC Residents, we can make use of separate Black Refuse Plastic Bags with emphasis on advise number 5 above.
7. Try not to inhale duct from the broken bulb.